- 酢酸 (Acetic acid) – ビネガー（酢）の様な臭いと風味
- 乳酸 (Lactic acid) – ヨーグルトや腐った牛乳の様な臭いと風味
- 硫酸鉄 (ferrous sulphate) – 金属やインクや血の様な臭いと風味
- クロロフェノール (Chlorophenol) – 消毒剤やうがい薬の様な臭いと風味
- 硫化水素H2S (Hydrogen Sulfate) ゆで卵、腐った卵の様な臭いと風味
- メルカプタン(Mercaptan) – 下水や腐ったゴミの様な悪臭
- ジメチルスルフィド (DMS) – コーンやキャベツの様な臭いと風味
- ダイアセチル (Diacetyl) – バターの様な臭いと風味
- アセトアルデヒド(Acetaldehyde) – 青りんごの様な臭いと風味
- 酸化臭(Trans-2-Nonenal) – 段ボールの様な臭いと風味
- 日光臭(3MBT) – スカンクの様な獣臭
- イソバレリアン酸 (Isovaleric acid) – チーズの様な臭いと風味
World’s largest brewing conglomerate¹ was formed in 2008 through a merger of Belgian Interbrew with US-based Anheuser-Busch. Interbrew itself was formed in 1999 by a merger of Brazilian based AmBev and Belgian based Interbrew. In 2016 AB-InBev acquired the competitor SABMiller and now owns over 500 beer brands in over 100 countries² with recorded revenue of 56.4 billion USD in 2017 fiscal year³. The global and international brands AB-InBev owns include Budweiser, Corona, Stella Artois, Beck’s, Hoegaarden and Leffe.
Quite a few craft beer fans and industry people blindly despise AB-InBev. Opinions should be backed up by facts. If you want to dig deeper, please read Josh Noel’s fascinating interview with Cloudburst Brewing’s founder Steve Luke, about his t-shirt stunt at the Great American Beer Festival’s awards ceremony earlier this year.
Here’s the interview link:
- Alworth, Jeff. The Beer Bible: The Essential Beer Lover’s Guide (p. 250). Workman Publishing Company. Kindle Edition.
- Anheuser-Busch InBev, last edited on
8 November 2018, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anheuser-Busch_InBev
- Anheuser-Bush Statistics and Facts, last edited on October 26th, 2018, https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/anheuser-busch-inbev-statistics-facts/
Hops (Humulus Lupulus) and Marijuana (Cannabis) plants are taxonomically related and come from Cannabinaceae family. Both share similar aroma compounds (brewing term: hop essential oils) myrcene, beta-pinene, and alpha-humulene. Those are the same aroma compounds that produce Marijuana’s typical smell. Additionally, TCH – Marijuana’s active component, and humulone – a component that makes beer bitter (brewing term: hop alpha acids) are made from the same organic building block compound – terpenoid.
- Martha Harbinson, “BeerSci: What’s The Connection Between Hops And Marijuana?”, last modified November 16, 2012, https://www.popsci.com/science/article/2012-11/beersci-marijuana-related-hops
- Graham Eyres, Jean-Pierre Dufour “Beer in Health and Disease Prevention” 2009, 29 January 2010, Abstract, https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-373891-2.00022-5